Best English & Welsh Wines to Pair with Christmas Dinner
Wine pairing with Christmas dinner is traditionally quite challenging. There are a lot of different flavours to balance, and you don’t want to overpower the wine with the food and vice versa.
Last year was a challenge for a lot of people, so we hope everyone is able to make the most of Christmas with family & friends this year! We'd recommend choosing some truly lovely English & Welsh wines to go with Christmas dinner this year.
Read on to find our guide of the top wines we’d recommend for pairing with Christmas Dinner, plus a couple of other favourites to treat yourself on the day!
- Sixteen Ridges Pinot Noir from Worcestershire – perfect for pairing with turkey. This wine is light bodied enough to not overpower any of the other flavours on your plate. Turkey can easily get quite dry, so any red wine with tannins will exacerbate any dryness in the meat – this deliciously soft Pinot Noir is very low in tannins, and will be a great match! It’s got fruit flavours that will match your cranberry sauce beautifully, and it’s light enough to appeal to even non-red wine drinkers – this wine is an all round winner for Christmas Day!
- Carr Taylor Brut English Sparkling Wine from Hastings - this is the perfect celebration wine, and we think this is an upgrade from Champagne! Deliciously dry and with the gentle biscuit and brioche notes you'd expect from an English Sparkling Wine or Champagne, but with beautifully light notes of apple and a deliciously crisp finish, this wine will make yours a party to remember!
- Hidden Spring Chardonnay from Sussex – perfect for pairing with turkey, but will also pair beautifully with your post-Christmas dinner cheeseboard. The ripe fruit notes, crisp acidity, medium body and general mouth-watering juicy-ness will have your turkey melting in your mouth!
- Winbirri Reserve from Norfolk – perfect for pairing with roast beef. If turkey isn’t your thing and you’re opting for red, go for a full bodied red that’s been oak aged. The body, and balance of fruit flavours in Winbirri’s Reserve, along with the well-rounded tannins and complex aromas will match perfectly with your roast beef.
- Wayfarer Bacchus from Kent – pairs beautifully with cheeses, particularly soft or creamy cheeses. The acidity cuts through the fat in the cheese, while the fruity notes in the Bacchus enhance the mellow flavours of the cheese. This Bacchus will be a particular hit with anyone who enjoys wines similar to New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.
- Beacon Down Riesling from Sussex – the ultimate palate cleanser! Still English Riesling is incredibly rare – we actually think Beacon Down may be unique in producing this! It’s medium to medium-sweet, but it’s got great acidity to it, which leaves a refreshing, clean feel in the mouth. Beautiful flavours of stone fruits and tropical fruits mean it’s sure to be a hit with everyone around the table! We recommend serving this between your main meal and dessert, or just before you serve your cheeseboard.
Upgrade your Pinot Noir & turkey pairing by opting for Montgomery's ultra limited edition Pinot Noir from Wales - this Welsh red wine has notes of fresh cherries, dark fruits and a deliciously silky texture. This will be a Christmas wine to remember!
Up your English Sparkling Wine game with Essence from Fox & Fox - this 100% Chardonnay is a perfect celebration wine. We think it's an elegant combination with smoked salmon, but it is also great on its own as an aperitif, shared with loved ones.
If you're looking to serve more Welsh wines on Christmas Day than English, we recommend the velvety Rondo from Montgomery Vineyard in the heart of Wales, and Montgomery Seyval Blanc which is deliciously dry and delicate.
If you're looking for a wine-less-ordinary that's a real crowd pleaser, the winning wine for you is Montgomery Demi Sec - this Welsh Sparkling is less dry than most English sparkling or Welsh sparkling wines, so it's guaranteed to delight all your guests!
There you have it! Some perfect ways to pair English and Welsh wine with your Christmas Dinner! As always, we’re on hand to help if you’d like any personal recommendations – please email email@example.com – or if you’re looking for more winning Christmas combinations, head over to our range of Pre-Mixed Selections where you can get some fantastic mixes of wines, with a great saving too!