Top 5 English Wine & Cheese Pairings
If you’re looking to pair English wines with English cheeses, we have compiled a handy little guide below to some of our favourite pairings! We have also included some Welsh wines and Welsh cheeses!
With English & Welsh wines becoming ever more popular, there’s never been a better time to swap your foreign cheeseboard and wine line up at your next dinner party for a “Best of British” cheese and wine selection!
- Chilford Hall Blush with Rosary goats cheese – you read that right, we are suggesting pairing an English rosé with cheese! Surely rosé doesn’t pair with cheese?! In fact, the acidity in this rosé wine cuts through the fat of the cheese nicely, while the mellowness of the goats cheese allows the fruity flavours of the rosé to really shine. A perfect match!
- Litmus Element 20 with Wookey Hole Cave Aged Cheddar – this full bodied, oaked white wine mellows the flavours of the cheese, and the fruity flavours of the wine become beautifully delicate. This is a definite must-try combination!
- Sixteen Ridges Bacchus with Somerset Brie – this Bacchus from Worcestershire is one of our bestselling white wines, and is very similar to Sauvignon Blanc in flavour profile. The acidity cuts through the creaminess of the Somerset brie, and the fact the Somerset brie is such a mellow flavoured cheese means the floral, herbaceous and fruity flavours of this delicious wine really come through. A perfect West-country pairing!
- Whitehall Pinot Noir with Snowdonia Truffle Trove – a Wiltshire wine with a Welsh cheese, this combination features a deliciously smooth, light bodied red wine that doesn’t overpower the truffle notes of the cheese. A truly luxurious duo!
- Montgomery Rondo with Cheshire Cheese Co Black Bomb – this Rondo from the heart of Wales has a velvety texture that pairs perfectly with this velvety smooth cheese. The fruit flavours of the wine still come through, and the delicious finish will leave you really wanting more!
There you have it – five perfect English & Welsh wine and cheese pairings – guaranteed to be the hit of your next dinner party!